11 June 2010

Bearing Down

This lino-cut is really old (2007) but many of the themes are still true. The seven hairy balls around the bharatnatyam dancer are actually coconuts. They represent my family members who are all very much part of my life, whether I like it or not. And I'm part of their's now more than ever. This pose is the 'snake' which represents my Chinese zodiac sign. I tried my damnedest to scrape an angry expression onto her face since those dancers have highly expressive facial contortions. At least she looks unhappy, that much I was able to cut into the lino. Why unhappiness? It was mostly inspired from my crazy relationship with my parents at the time, it was not a good year, really.

Overall, doing this lino was an interesting experience. Got to use the local university's resources, exhibit my work at the city's school gallery and a gallery in South Africa. 

1 comment:

  1. i love this post and this drawing.....also i love the new layout ;)

    ReplyDelete